Saturday 11 August 2012

Düsseldorf series - everyday scenes

The office is in Willstätterstrasse, a commercial district in Düsseldorf. In the area, Vodafone the mobile operator is in the process of building its own campus. The construction noise is there, every day. The area has a good supply of business hotels that cater for the passing trade, and I stay in one of them, for the moment anyway. Every morning, I wake up to office blocks opposite, and a huge chimney stack in the distance. The view is quite depressing. 


There are a number of restaurants in the area. So far I have eaten at the local Chinese restaurant called China Town, the hotel restaurant called trevor's, and a German pub that my colleague took me to. My recent find is this tiny Japanese restaurant with 8 covers. In the evening, it is packed with Japanese and a handful of Chinese. The menu is a one page laminated card, supplemented by a handwritten note. Having eaten in Japan, the food here cannot be described as authentic Japanese, but it does help with my diet because the portions are tiny: the chicken noodle in soup comes with two tiny slices of chicken. And it is cash only.