Sunday 17 February 2013

Chinese New Year

Being so far away from home, the significance of Chinese New Year fades with each passing year. Often, I forget which day the first day of Chinese New Year falls until the inevitable reminder comes from my sister. This year is no exception.


A riot of colours - red packets and a modern variation - gold packets - hanging on a floral display at Royal China restaurant, Queensway, London W2. The red packets remind me of the days when I was a young girl, receiving a double packet from my parents on the first day of the New Year. I used to save the money, but I do not remember what I spent the money on. The restaurant put on a New Year menu, full of dishes with good wishes, but nothing that I used to eat at the family reunion dinner on New Year's Eve.


The modern version of firecrackers. In the old days before health and safety awareness, a string of firecrackers would be set off to herald an auspicious event. These decorative firecrackers are no substitutes for the deep red throaty ones that used to emit deafening sounds (for a child at least).