Tuesday 24 December 2013

Random Memories of December

Kista Galleria, Stockholm
I had so little time to stop and wonder that I've hardly used my camera on my business travels. That and the quick in and out routine seems to have clogged up my creative spirit.

I was in Kista, Stockholm and I commuted daily from Stockholm central to the Kista Science Park, using the Tunnelbana (metro). It's a bit of a climb from the ground level at Central Station Stockholm to T11, the line that goes to Kista. The crowd made it difficult to stop and take a photo, even with my iPhone. But when walking through the Kista Galleria to the office, I could pause and take some pictures of the shops that were dressed for Christmas. Here is a gift box which I presume is used for donation of toys to some deserving children. The Swedes are very understated with their Christmas decorations. Less is more.


Spiral staircase, Kista
This spiral staircase really captured my imagination. It is located in a building that is part of a huge office complex in Kista. The walk between buildings can be 20 minutes or so, depending on the ground condition and the fitness of the individual. It was cold and wet on the day, so the short walk was far from being pleasant. Once inside the building, the open space, the modern decor and this spiral staircase really livened up the spirit. There were tea and coffee stations everywhere, with a wide selection of tea infusions, quite the opposite of the tea-dust tea bags that are available in the UK. Somehow the budgets are different, or is it the culture? I've also noticed the absence of loud conversations on the Tunnelbana, which is a huge relief for someone like me seeking an escape from the all-intrusive mobile phone calls on UK public transport.


Bucharest, Romania
I went back to Bucharest, Romania for a short visit. The trips between the airport and hotel, hotel and office were not particularly memorable. It was urban sprawl all the way and I had not been able to locate my bearings. This photo was taken on the way from the office to the hotel one late evening. The roads were unbelievably empty of traffic. The taxi driver, a surly middle-aged man did not make any attempt to make small talk. Usually, the taxi drivers would ask: Why do you come from? Are you on holiday or on business? Sometimes the conversation could stretch to their experience of their visits to the UK and their observations of the English. One such taxi driver worked at Stockton-on-Tees for a Pakistani taxi firm, and he concluded that the English were mostly drunk and rude. What could I say to counteract his own personal experience?


Otopeni airport, Bucharest

The Otopeni International Airport at Bucharest is probably one of the least well signposted that I've come across. At the departure hall no departure gate was shown on the LED display. There is also now a new departure area for domestic and international departures but it was not signposted. And what a way the security screening was set up! There was no conveyor belt so the passengers first of all had to fetch the trays which were stacked two feet away, and then manhandle the trays along a marble bench top, which was stepped up in three sections. Both the signage and the way the security screening is being organised can be much improved. Whilst waiting for the flight, I spotted this rather curious Christmas decoration: a polar bear and her cub lying beside a motor bike. The latter of course is a rare beast in Bucharest, considering the nightmarish traffic condition.