Sunday 8 March 2015

Nairobi Series - My daily dose of local news

Everyday I receive a local newspaper. It used to be the Standard, now it is Business Daily. The Standard is front to back local news and without local knowledge it is difficult to follow the politics. 


What else?
About the traffic congestion. It took 2 hours to travel the 18 km from hotel to the airport by car. What puzzled me was this: the traffic lights were working but the traffic was controlled by traffic police. Nothing moved. I asked the locals "Why are traffic lights ignored by traffic police?" The answer? Yes, you guessed it.


Drought threat
Reading about the drought threat made me feel guilty about leaving food on the plate. 


Serious academic matters
This advertisement on the ranking of University Nairobi in the world league caught my eye. On the left hand column you see the Africa ranking and on the right hand column the world rank. It's ironic to me that a ranking of 855 deserves a mention. 


The first piece of news when I arrived
"Who killed Muchai" greeted me when I arrived. The MP was murdered along with his driver and two body guards. 6 suspects were arrested and one suspect accused the police of torturing him for a confession.


From waste to art
Ultimately I prefer more good news and less bad news. I am tickled pink by this article on making art from old flip flops. Trouble is: I don't see a lot of flip flops being worn in Nairobi.