Saturday 16 May 2015

Food, glorious food at Gidleigh Park

Make no mistake, this is a 2 Michelin star restaurant, and we came back especially for the food. We've eaten at 3 Michelin star restaurants before but found them to be rather stuffy. Gidleigh Park strikes the right note, food is fun rather than reverence; the plates look beautiful without being too much of the untouchable fine art; the staff welcoming without being too formal.

We chose the 8-course tasting menu and here they are, frame by frame. Since I chose to have my food without butter, cream or cheese, the restaurant offered me substitutes. All the photos were taken on my iPhone 4S, without a flash.


A trio of amuse bouche

A trio of amuse bouche
Lobster with curry sauce

Duck liver terrine

Smoked fish, my least favourite dish

Duck, medium rare

Filet of beef with ox cheeks


Dessert

Dessert

Simple dessert, lovingly assembled

Breakfast. Two perfect poached eggs
The food was delicious, and so was the wine. By the time the 5th course was eaten and cleared off the table, I was beginning to wonder where I could find the space for 3 more courses. Such a memorable meal, such a memorable evening, and such wonderful company.