Monday 22 August 2011

Bratislava Series - First Impressions

This is my first trip to Bratislava, a city that I will make my home from home for the next 3 months.  From Vienna, it is a skip and hop across the border to Bratislava, passing many wind turbines on the way.  The city is a forest of rectangular buildings, probably a legacy of the Communist era.  What took me by surprise is the multi-lingual ability of the population: the locals that I have come across can speak at least 3 or even 4 of these languages: Slovakian (of course), Czech (from the days when Czech Replublic and Slovakia were one nation state), Russian, and Polish.  Two things stand out: friendly people, crap roads. 

And, the Slovakians do have a summer, which completely passed UK by.  It was warm - 30 degrees C and humid, almost like an Indian summer.
The border between Austria and Slovakia

Bars and restaurants line the pedestrianised
area along the River Danube

The square at Eurovea Galleria