Wednesday 5 December 2012

En route to Puerto Rico

The spanking new check in hall at Lynden Pindling
international airport, Nassau
It's a pleasant surprise to step foot in the brand new terminal at Lynden Pindling International airport, Nassau. Such an improvement to the old terminal that serves presumably flights from other parts of the world. This new terminal serves US departures only and is staffed by US Immigration officials. It's the first time at departure that an immigration official asked me if the luggage showing on the screen belonged to me. There was the usual finger print taking, four fingers of the right hand, followed by the right thumb, then four fingers of the left hand, followed by the left thumb. The big surprise is the courtesy accorded to the travellers by the officials. 
The Embraer 145 flown by American Eagle on
short haul from Nassau to Miami

The flight was late arriving from Miami. Since I had bad experience flying with American Airlines, I was slightly concerned that the delay could result in me being separated from my luggage on arrival at San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Miami International Airport looks the piece. It is totally different from the one I remembered when I last set foot in Miami in the late 80s. The D terminal is spacious, airy, and gives the travellers a sense of calm. The signposting is first class. The sky train that whisked travellers from the arrival gates to the departure gates was fast and efficient. Everything worked. 

Sashimi counter at Miami International Airport
It was a huge relief to find some decent food again at MIA. The sashimi was delicious. No more rice and peas or plantains. The positions of the eateries are so well signposted, it was easy to decide if one had the time to get to a restaurant of choice, have something to eat, and then head for the departure gate. 

The 757 to PR was full. The flight attendant, a tad impatient, instructed the passengers that if they wanted to take off, they had better take their seats! No please, just straight to the point. It was chaotic inside the economy cabin because the overhead lockers were full and people had to search for a space to store their hand luggage. I noted that on entering the aircraft, the two women ahead of me dropped their luggage in the overhead lockers at the business class cabin and then proceeded to saunter down the aisle to the economy cabin. The big guy who sat next to me spent the whole journey munching non stop M&Ms and an assortment of sweets.
Approaching San Juan, Puerto Rico

It was raining at Puerto Rico. Exiting for baggage reclaim was a bit hairy because I must have picked up another route that no one used. I passed through many deserted departure gates, all on my own. And then at the baggage hall, it was pure guess as to which belt the baggage would be presented. (More in another blog when I discovered that the TSA002 lock in my luggage had been forced open).

Then, another pleasant surprise! A ground transportation official gave me a piece of official documentation showing me the taxi fare to the hotel. The taxi driver charged exactly that amount. The taxi was clean and tidy, unlike most of the taxis at Nassau Bahamas. Some of the taxis in Nassau are literally falling to pieces, and that is not an exaggeration.
The hotel at Isla Verde, with view of the ocean (just about)
And fInally to the last piece of surprise. The hotel has an Asian restaurant and served one of the most succulent steam garoupa, ever.

For now, it is back to a thriving city, and a respite to take stock of my Bahamian experience that turned out to be an assault on my sensibilities.