Wednesday 19 March 2014

Beijing Series - Behai Park

My stay in Beijing was coming to an end, so I was determined to see a little bit more of the city with the limited time available. The smog had lifted and it was relatively safe to go outdoors. 

I had seen Chinese gardens in Suzhou, Hangzhou and Shanghai and I find these places, when not packed with tourists or locals, a wonderful environment to unwind, relax and admire the richness of traditional Chinese garden art. What little I saw of Behai Park did not disappoint.

It was late winter - the temperature was above freezing, there was no wind, and it was perfect weather to explore this huge park - some 67 hectares, half of which is occupied by a lake. I asked the taxi driver to drop me off at the East Gate but he insisted that he only knew of the South Gate. It turned out that he was right - the South Gate was indeed the main gate. The entrance fee was 5 CNY, really thumping good value for a park of this size and with such architectural treasures. Entrance to the Jade Flower Garden was an extra 10 CNY, but that's also worth it. I only wish I had set aside a whole day to explore the place... 


The White Dagoba, rising magnificently above the Jade Flower Island.
What a wonderful view that greeted me on entering Behai Park from the south gate.

I imagine these two young ladies were part of some entertainment.
The umbrella is purely decorative because the sun was not strong enough to warrant it

One of the temples on the Jade Flower Island
The red signs hanging off the marble stand are small placards
for worshipers to make their wishes to the Buddha

Richly decorated walkway in the Circular City

The Five Dragon Pavilion, seen at dusk.
These are five connected pavilions and from a distance, they appear
together like a huge dragon. The girders and pillars of the pavilions
are covered in exquisite carvings and paintings.

The magnificent Five Dragon Screen built in the 18th century.
There are altogether 424 seven-colour glazed tiles and 9 huge
coiling dragons on each side of the screen. 


The boats on Behai Park. It was off season so no boat was available for hire.



More boats. One can imagine the traffic on the lake at spring and summer time.

Sunset at Behai Park. This brings my stay in Beijing to a close.