Sunday 16 March 2014

Beijing Series - Street Scenes

Away from the glitzy shopping malls and high end apartments, I observed the locals living a life that is full of variety and local flavour.

I start off with this brand at Shin Kong Place because when I first saw it,
I was amazed by the size. Look at the number of customers!
Bikes available for hire. First time I saw such bikes in Beijing -
they remind me of Boris Bikes in London.
A cake loaded, ready to be delivered.
I saw quite a lot of people sitting around in Beijing, chatting.
An old man studying some kind of leaflet.
Judging from his tanned complexion, he is likely to be from the countryside.
A woman selling trinkets. She was very reluctant to be photographed.
There are many street traders in Beijing selling from the pavement.

Some elaborately decorated wedding cakes in Beijing.
These are best described as mid range. Some high end cakes are spectacular.
Making a living by selling a few pieces of vegetables.
A vegetable stall inside a covered market.
A butcher inside a covered market.
The red lights remind me of my childhood days in Hong Kong -
the butchers all used red lights to enhance the look of the meat.
A cobbler at work. 
A bicycle repair shop next to the cobbler.
It really is just a stall rather than a shop.
A local supermarket. Next to it is a mobile phone shop.
Mobile phone ownership is very high in Beijing.
Samsung is by far the most popular brand.
A shop that sells cosmetics and toiletries.
From here I bought a "miniLab" eyebrow pencil for 38 CNY (less than £4)
The shop sign says: Cigarettes, Alcohol and Fruits
Wind dried meat and duck wings.
They may not look appealing but if in good hands, they can be quite tasty.
A woman selling house plants from a cart.
It's quite common for street vendors to sell house plants from the pavement.
A motorbike showroom being operated from the pavement.