Saturday 12 July 2014

Japan & China - Food that I ate

This was my last trip to Beijing and to Yokohama. There were mixed feelings: I dreaded the heat in Beijing, knowing that it would limit my movement, but I looked forward to eating at my favourite places in Yokohama again.

Hainan chicken rice, Beijing
My first meal at Beijing was Hainan chicken rice. I used to love this dish when I was in Hong Kong. The way that the hotel cooked it was rather different: for a start the rice was not done in chicken consomme, and there wasn't the ginger paste that I expected. What really frustrated me was that I waited well over 30 minutes for this dish and at the end the manager decided not to charge me.At this hotel, there were more managers than waiters, and the managers were observed to be the hands-off type. 

Beijing noodles, Beijing
Next, I tried the Beijing noodles. It was a vegetarian dish and rather tasteless. I could not imagine how this could be a popular dish in Beijing in the summer. I ate a few mouthfuls and gave up. The spinach dish was a side dish that I ordered, and was the only tasteful food on the night.
The hot pot at Miyabi Japanese restaurant, Beijing
It was ironic that I chose to eat Japanese food in Beijing. In the Miyabi restaurant, I knew that I could be guaranteed tasty food, and the right portions. This beef sukiyaki was delicious, although it took about 20 minutes to prepare.
Sashimi, Miyabi restaurant, Beining
Tempura, Miyabi restaurant, Beijing
As soon as I landed in Japan, I knew that I would have a wider choice of food within walking distance of the hotel.
Beef donburi, Yokohama
One of the most delicious meals I had in Yokohama
Ramen with pork slices at Yokohama Sea Paradise.
Cheap and cheerful. The drink was cold oolong tea.
A salad starter with crab meat at my favourite sushi restaurant, Yokohama.
There was a small plate of slimy foodstuff that looked suspicious but tasted delicious.
A lunch of minced chicken topped with an egg, some miso soup,
and a red bean drink with mochi. Quick and simple.
My penultimate meal in Yokohama.
One of the best tonkatsu restaurants, with excellent condiments.
Service was slow, but the food worth waiting for.
My last breakfast in Japan, at the JAL Sakura Lounge, Haneda Airport.
On the front page was the news that Japan plan to change their constitution
so that their self defense force can engage in foreign combats.
Without doubt, food remains an important part of my life. I tend to return over and over again to the food that I grew up with, if the choice is available. This is true of some of my colleagues who prefer pizzas, TGI Friday, Hard Rock Cafe, the places that they are comfortable with.