Saturday 12 July 2014

Japan Series - Science Museum, Nagoya

I thought I would enjoy this science museum, but I was stumped by the language, or rather not knowing the language. 

The hotel concierge warned me to go early to queue for the tickets; what he omitted to tell me was this: the entrance tickets to the planetarium show were limited. It was relatively easy to get to the Science Museum from Nagoya station: on the Higashimaya subway line to Fushimi and then a 20-minute walk to the destination. I remember to this day how hot it was to walk 20-minutes under a blazing sun, even with a hat on.
The unmistakable entrance to the Nagoya Science Museum
The queue for tickets at the Science Museum
Arriving at about 10:30 at the museum door, there were already long queues: one for the Museum and one for the Planetarium. There were ushers of course, informing visitors on a placard how long it would take to get to the top of the queue. But luck would not have it, by the time I was head of the queue, the last four seats to the last Planetarium show on the day were sold. By that time I had endured 30 minutes of summer sun and was feeling rather hot and flustered. 

This was a major disappointment because visiting a science museum where all the illustrations are in the local language that I cannot read was absolutely no fun. I wandered around the 6 floors like a lost child, among all the exhibits and felt that I was reading a giant picture book but not really understanding what those pictures were trying to tell me.
A contraption depicting various methods of turning rain to water
At the end of the day, I took an interest in origami
All the websites had warned of the museum being Japanese centric, i.e. no English translation. But it was only when I was confronted with it that I realized how my hunger for knowledge was blocked by the language barrier.

On the first floor, I saw some adults teaching children the art of origami. I decided to have a go at it. There, among young children, I made a dinosaur and an elephant, and emerged feeling that I had at least some fun, however childlike it was.