Sunday 27 November 2011

Bratislava Series - Entertainment

Puppetry in the Old Town.  Some fun.
Busking at the Main Square.  More fun.
The National Sinfonia Orchestra RAI Torino
playing at the National Theatre.  Bravo!
After months of cultural deprivation, tonight I went to the Old National Theatre to enjoy some classical music.  The hotel had booked a ticket for me, but on arrival, the solo clerk manning the so-called box office had no knowledge of it whatsoever.  So I took the first ticket that was available, and from the vantage of front row, I saw the excellent footwork and expressive facial movements of the pianist Evgeni Bozhanov playing Chopin's Concert for Piano and Orchestra no. 1.  The house erupted in applause afterwards and was rewarded with more Chopin.  The "Bravos" reminded me of the enrapture of the crowd at the Bolshoi Theatre.


Still, the street entertainment that preceded the concert was no less entertaining.  Somehow it brought me back to the days when I lived in Edinburgh and used to take delight at the street entertainment staged at the Mound during the Edinburgh Festival.