Sunday 27 November 2011

Bratislava Series - Winter is here!

The square outside the hotel has turned festive, with a few stalls and the installation of an ice rink. There was also music, blaring from the loud speakers.  Fortunately, being on the 7th floor, I am completely insulated from the revelry.
It is perishingly cold today, about 1 degree Celsius.  The blue sky of yesterday has disappeared, just a layer of foggy greyness hanging over the square, but that did not dampen the spirit of the young, racing across the ice rink.  A father was seen holding his son's hand, guiding the boy along the ice.  Maybe I should brave the ice and have a go at this sport.
  
At the other end of the square is a sprinkling of stalls, selling Christmas stuff that no one seems to want to buy.  I think I have seen enough of Christmas markets this year to last a life time.  At Vienna, 9 pieces of chestnuts cost 2,50€, and a mug of punch 3,00 €.  You can keep the mug of course, and for that you pay 2€.  Apparently, some people collect these mugs as souvenirs. But I am glad that I have sampled these festive events.