Friday 25 November 2011

Vienna Series - What is Art?

My colleagues in the Slovakian office have recommended that I go and see the Hundertwasser House in Vienna, when I told them I like architecture.    


On a cold Saturday morning, there was a sprinkling of tourists who shared a faint fascination with what turns out to be a mish mash of shapes and sizes. The marketing materials show the paintwork in pristine condition, but the wintry sky has cast a greyness over this odd assortment, and the bits and pieces of tiles stuck over the fascade of the building gave the place a chaotic feel.  I don't get this at all....



To complete my exploration of all things art in Vienna, we went to the Austrian Museum of Applied Art.  From the outside, the red bricks give it a look of old fashioned solidity.  Inside, there wasn't much of interest, except that a lot of students use it as a place to study and work in, and some guards barking at punters who dared to go a millimetre too close to any of the display cabinets.


In the ladies toilet, one thing is definitely form over function.  Someone has tried to redesign a wash hand basin and came up with this idea.  A fellow user and I laughed at this, whilst an English mother who had yet to use it remarked to her unsuspecting daughter: "Oh, isn't that cute?"  Why would we want wash hand basin to be "cute"?