Thursday 5 July 2012

Bratislava Series - Something old, something new

Karadžičova 10, Bratislava
Here, on the third floor, everything started: the project kick off meeting where I was first introduced to my customers. The building is the epitome of modern office, all glass and wood, and reception manned by pretty girls. The address was a tongue twister, so my colleagues had to coach me in the pronunciation. A vowel is missing from Karadžičova,and I have a problem with Slovak words. It seems easier for the Europeans to communicate with each other in English, than the English with the Europeans in English. Forget about using expressions, they are not easily understood, and may cause misunderstanding. For example: "I wasn't born yesterday" was misunderstood as "I was not in Bonn yesterday". And try explaining "Don't teach granny how to suck eggs"! The Slovaks have a much better expression "Don't teach birds how to sing".

Molo Restaurant, Bratislava
I first came here in November 2011 to join the celebration of the winning of a contract. It was cold, and I was struggling in my high heels on the approach to the restaurant, which was icy. Now I came here again, in less celebratory circumstances. It was 35C, and I ate lunch in the sweltering heat. But the pan fried eel with shreds of avocado and zucchini was delicious. A German colleague tried to cheer us up with his jokes.

Zlaté Piesky (Golden Sands), Bratislava
I was invited here to celebrate the signing of another contract. This is a recreational resort built around a lake, very popular with families, who came out in force to enjoy themselves, sunning on the beach, playing water sport, and drinking beer. On the day, I had a bottle of non alcoholic drink made by Zlatý Bažant (Golden Pheasant), a drink that reminded me of its first taste at Zagreb. There was a fast food food stall near when we sat, selling sausages with great big dollops of mustard, fried fish with salad, all came with two big pieces of bread. 
Water sport at  Zlaté Piesky