Saturday 21 June 2014

Japan Series - Out and about in Yokohama

There is never enough time to see Yokohama when life revolves around daily trips between hotel and office. It is also difficult to take photos when lugging a laptop around. So the pictures I had taken of everyday life at Yokohama are to me a little bit precious.
Thoroughfare linking Yokohama Blue Avenue to Queen Square, Yokohama
On our way to lunch we passed this lovely spot lined with trees and flower beds. I enjoy the open spaces in Yokohama because most of the time I tend to be emerged in the hustle bustle of human life around Yokohama Station.
Minato Mirai seen from Yokohama Blue Avenue, Yokohama
From the Yokohama Blue Avenue, one can see the Fuji Xerox building (the cylindrical one) and the Nissan HQ. There is also a church in the vicinity but I didn't bother to look inside.
Yokohama Station
The underground B1 level at the Yokohama Station is always busy. The protocol at Yokohama is to walk on the left side to allow people to pass on the right side. On my first day at Yokohama, I stood in ignorance on the right side of the escalator and was admonished because I was blocking the way. I was mortified.
JR staff at Yokohama Station
Most mornings, I saw a chap (no women I am afraid) standing near the south gates of the Yokohama Station with a public address system. Exactly what he was saying I could not understand. I don't know if the Japanese have fallen foul of the English way of public communication when people are often told via public address systems not to do this and not to do that.
Nissan's New Mobility Concept Yokohama
Nissan's HQ is in Yokohama. This is their New Mobility Concept, a 100% electric vehicle developed for senior citizens and single-member households! It is smaller than a compact vehicle and would appear to be ideal for narrow streets and small parking spaces.
Sock shop, Yokohama Station
Japan is a shopper's paradise. Look at this ladies' sock shop, selling nothing but socks. As a consumer, I feel I can buy with confidence in Japan because the quality of merchandise in shops big and small tends to be good.
Paradise of Creators, Yokohama
I think they mean "Creators' Paradise" or "Paradise for Creators". It is a handicraft shop in Tokyu Hands and is designed for enthusiasts who want to make their own things. In the background you will see a shop assistant bowing to say thank you to a customer. I still feel embarrassed by the amount of bowing coming from sales assistants.
Fish stall, Takashimaya Department Store
I have not had the opportunity to buy uncooked food in Japan because I don't cook (or need to cook) for myself. The choice of food stuff at the Takashimaya Department Store is bewildering. To make any sense, I would have to learn Japanese first.
Vegetables store, Soga
The Japanese seem to care deeply about the quality of food that they buy. I remember once in Yorkshire a shop was selling broken biscuits. Such an idea would horrify the Japanese. I didn't have time to visit some other supermarkets away from the up-market department stores to make a comparison. Note to myself: maybe research is needed.
Cake shop, Yokohama Station
There are cake shops everywhere; they tend to sell either western cakes or Japanese cakes. The cakes are always beautifully displayed. The packaging - even for a single cake - is done with care. Packaging is an art form in Japan. I witness with envy the dexterous way in which shop assistants wrap things up. In Takashimaya, shoppers are given a choice of at least 6 types of wrapping paper and an equal amount of ribbons. Wrapping service is free. 
New store opening
This is the Japanese version of flower arrangements for a shop opening. The colours are really garish. The good thing is: they can be recycled for the next shop opening.
Lottery advertising
Quite often in the evening I saw a girl holding a placard to attract people to the lottery kiosk. The character written on the back of her coat is "Dream", which sums up the whole thing about lottery, which is that it is a dream.
Kids on an outing
Japanese children on the whole are extremely well behaved and well groomed. They are brought up to respect others as well as themselves. They seem to be a different breed to a lot of kids in the western world.
Beautiful peonies
A florist sprang up one day on the way between the hotel and the office. It had the most gorgeous peonies. The flowers were so lovely that I was almost tempted to buy a bunch for myself to put beside the bed.