Saturday 21 June 2014

Japan Series - Shirotori Gardens, Nagoya

This was not on my list of places to visit until the concierge recommended it to me. I took the Meijo Subway Line and got off at the Jingu-Nishi station. From there it was a 15 minute walk to the garden. As usual, I had to ask for directions on the way.

The Shirotori Gardens is an oasis in the city, almost like Hyde Park in the centre of London. The landscape was created in the image of the Tokai area, with ponds, waterfalls, pavilions, a tea house and many unique sights. It was beautiful, peaceful and tranquil.

The beautiful Shirotori Garden, Nagoya
An elderly gentleman reading his newspaper by the stream
A woman photographing the carp
Blazing azaleas
One of the bridges that dotted the Shirotori Garden
Tea house
Gardener brushing the bark off
Gardener shaping a tree
Women listening to suikinkutsu
In the garden is a suikinkutsu, which is a garden ornament and a music device. It consists of an upside down buried pot with a hole at the top. Water drips through the hole at the top onto a small pool of water inside the pot, creating a pleasant splashing sound that rings inside the pot similar to a Japanese zither called koto. This one was built next to a stone basin. The sound of the splashing water put a smile on my face; the two Japanese women smiled at me, mumbled to me in some Japanese and when they realized that I do not speak their language, expressed surprise and walked away.